Monday, May 18, 2009

TN: 2005 Soos Creek Artist Series #5

Decided to go old school this past Saturday night for my father's 62 birthday. I've enjoyed past vintages of this wine and have a vertical from 01-06 that I'm going to pop for dinner some night. David Larson has been making wine for 20 years under the Soos Creek label (only about 5 minutes from where I grew up in Kent). He has been sourcing fruit from Washington's best vineyards for years and that's one reason his wines age effortlessly. If you see one of his wines around town, pick one up--you won't be disappointed.

Essentially a pop and pour (although I left my glass alone for the first 15 minutes). Initial aromas of red currants, plums, tobacco, and some sweet oak. Medium-bodied and ripe polished berry fruit in the mouth with a real nice smokiness that gives way to a vibrant acidity. Noticable depth and well rounded tannins lead to a smooth, long finish. I know this isn't one of my more exciting notes but the wine was just a great example of an elegant, well made Washington bordeaux blend (49% cab, 42% cab franc, 9% merlot). Nothing to make it "pop" but also no flaws...just darn good. 92 pts.

No comments:

Post a Comment