Thursday, April 2, 2009

TN: 2006 Carlisle Syrah Dry Creek Valley

After dubbing the 06 Carlisle Sonoma County Syrah about the best $20 wine you could buy, I decided to give the "over-priced" $27 Dry Creek Valley Syrah a shot. It was damn good. Didn't have the depth of the Sonoma County but still quite a solid QPR at $27. If my wife found out that I actually thought $27 was essentially cheap for a bottle of wine, let's just say I wouldn't be here. Can't wait to give the 07 RRV Syrah a spin!

Deep, dark purple in the glass. It just looks dense and hefty. Oodles (a rarely used scientific term) of blue fruit on the nose with cracked black pepper, blackberry, and spices. Definite high levels of "fruit weight" in the mouth along with ripe blueberries and blackberries. Can also taste a hint of minerality and an acidity that energizes the palate. The only criticism I have for this wine, and it's a small one, is a tad bit heat on the finish which just suggests I may have needed to let it rest for another 6 months...But where is the fun in that. 91pts

No comments:

Post a Comment